Community is an integral part of Be My Eyes. Since we launched in January 2015, more than 5 million volunteers have signed up to assist the +350,000 blind and low-vision users, making the app the biggest online community for blind and low-vision people as well as one of the largest micro-volunteering platforms in the world! Every day, volunteers sign onto Be My Eyes to lend their sight to blind and low-vision individuals to tackle challenges and solve problems together.
Be My Eyes brings people together around a shared goal of human kindness.
Community Stories feature personal stories from our members that go beyond visual assistance and to the heart of what makes Be My Eyes so special – the human connection. Stories from volunteers, blind and low-vision users, and partner companies demonstrate the positive social impact of Be My Eyes in their daily lives.
You can find our Community Stories on the following platforms:
- In the Community tab in the Be My Eyes app.
- In the Community Stories section on our website.
- On our YouTube channel.
- On our Instagram and TikTok.
Tell us your story!
Do you want to be featured as part of our Community Stories? All you'll have to do is record a short video of yourself, briefly introducing yourself and answering one of the questions below. The video will be shared across our social media channels and the app to give people a look into our diverse community of users and volunteers.
Below follows some specific instructions for the video:
- Please record the video in vertical mode (how you would normally hold your phone in your hand).
- Please make sure that the room is properly lit and not too noisy.
- When answering your selected question, please include the question in your sentence, so viewers can follow along without knowing the questions you're answering.
- Please be as brief and precise as possible and preferably keep the video shorter than 1 minute.
Please begin the video with a brief introduction on yourself touching on the following:
- Your name
- Where you're from
- What you do
- If you're a blind/low-vision user or a volunteer
- Your level of sight
After introducing yourself, please answer one of the following questions:
- How do you use Be My Eyes? Have you used Be My Eyes in an unusual way?
- What's the best experience you've had with Be My Eyes?
- How has Be My Eyes helped you most?
- What does having access to Be My Eyes mean to you?
- Has Be My Eyes put you in contact with someone special?
Please send your video to email@example.com for your chance to be featured as part of our Community Stories series!
The Be My Eyes Podcast
The Be My Eyes Podcast is about blindness, sight and the sometimes blurry in-between. On this bi-weekly podcast, Will from Be My Eyes talks to interesting and insightful individuals from the blind community to see the world through their eyes. Whether you are sighted, blind or low-vision, tune in to learn much more about accessibility, life with a vision impairment and other exciting topics from the people who know most about it.
13 Letters Podcast
“Accessibility” is more than just a setting on your phone or something you do to help the disabled – it’s the reason we have talking devices, voice recognition and sidewalk ramps. We couldn’t have an inclusive, diverse society without accessibility specialists working behind the scenes to make sure products and services work for everyone. 13 Letters features some of the world’s leading accessibility minds, talking about what they do and how accessibility affects billions of people every day.
Say My Meme Podcast
Say My Meme is exactly what it sounds like: A podcast that literally describes the world's most #relevant memes, bringing the blind and sighted people together through laughter and the power of visual description. Brought to you by Will from Be My Eyes and Caroline from Scribely.