Welcome to Be My Eyes!
As a Be My Eyes volunteer, you are able to help out blind and low-vision individuals with their daily tasks through your smartphone. Blind and low-vision users can ask for help with tasks ranging from explaining the color of a shirt, to navigating unfamiliar surroundings, but no matter the case, your assistance allows them to lead more independent lives.
How it Works
- Anyone 17 or older may sign up as a visually impaired user or volunteer.
- Calls are connected based on daytime timezone and language. You'll only receive calls in your daytime hours (8am to 9pm), and the blind user will speak the same language as you.
- When a call is answered, a live one-way video (two-way audio) is initiated, allowing you as a volunteer to see what’s in front of the user’s camera and provide verbal support.
Download the app
You can download the Be My Eyes app for free on your smartphone or tablet. It’s available for both iOS and Android devices.
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store
Sign up in the Be My Eyes app
After downloading, launch the Be My Eyes app to register. The app will take you through a short 5-step registration process:
Step 1: Select whether you want to sign up as a blind user or a sighted volunteer.
Step 2: Choose whether you want to sign up with Facebook, Google or email.
Step 3: Confirm your email address by clicking the verification link that is sent to your email.
Step 4: Select your primary language.
You will be connected to blind users speaking the same language as you. You can always change your preference and add secondary languages in the app settings.
Step 5: Allow access to microphone, camera and notifications to be able to receive video calls.
You are now ready to receive calls! You can receive calls as long as you're logged in to Be My Eyes, you don't need to have the app open. Please note that it is not unusual for it to take a while before you receive your first call.
Most Popular Uses for Be My Eyes
Here are some examples of common ways blind and low-vision users use Be My Eyes:
- Reading home appliances
- Reading product labels
- Matching outfits and identifying clothes
- Help in the kitchen
- Reading digital displays or computer screens
- Navigating TV or game menus
- Operating vending machines or kiosks
- Sorting music collections or other libraries
- Picking jewelry or crafts